Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted on May 10, 2014 in Fertility, Parenting | 2 comments

It’s a Boy!

It’s a Boy!


I’d like to introduce you to Charlie Dean Wyse!

Charlie 2

He was born on Wednesday, April 9th, 2014, at 6:26 p.m.  He weighed 8 lbs., 9 oz., and was 22″ long.

Rick and I are amazed and so blessed by this perfect little boy who has joined our family.  In answer to our many prayers, Eliana has embraced him with total love and fascination.  She gets so excited when she sees him, covering him with kisses, giggling, and clapping in her baby way.  It’s been such a joyful time.

We chose the name Charlie because we like it.  We like what it means.

Galatians 5:1 (NKJV) Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

Charlie is one of the friendliest names on the planet.  It derives from the classic name Charles which, in turn, comes from a German word meaning “free man.”   One who is manly and strong/a free man.

A dean can be a member of the clergy or, in universities and similar, someone with control over a certain academic department. Also a name signifying a church official or the head of a school. The name also means “law” in Hebrew.  The presiding official of a cathedral, collegiate church, university, or group.  Rick’s father’s middle name is Dean and Rick’s middle initial is “D” in honor of him.

Charlie Dean – a friendly, manly, free man, who is also a responsible leader.  

View More:

I was four days overdue with Charlie when labor was induced.  I’d been having false labor for about eight weeks and it was getting worse and worse, but still nothing happened.  I was exhausted with the waiting, miserably uncomfortable, and concerned that gestational diabetes might lead to an enormous baby.   I’d really wanted to go into labor all on my own, but it felt like the baby would NEVER come out on his own.  I was ready to get him out.


Four hours after the induction began, my labor intensified and things moved quickly.  I remembered that I was supposed to focus on something that comforted and calmed me.  The only thing I could think of was how sweet Eliana had been at one point in my pregnancy when I was alone at home with her and in such excruciating pain that I had to crawl to the couch.  I couldn’t get up on it and ended up kneeling in front of the ottoman, crying and trying desperately not to let her see how bad it was.  She came over and hugged my head.  It was such a kind and tender gesture that I could think of nothing else.  So I imagined that if she were there she would sit up near my head, hug it, and pat me – and it made me cry.  So during the worst of the labor I couldn’t stop the tears from leaking from my eyes.  I hate to cry and felt so annoyed at myself, but it didn’t matter.  Crying it was, so I just went with it.

I begged for the epidural as soon as possible.  I just wanted some relief!  Unfortunately, the anesthetist had a hard time getting the epidural in.  He tried several times, once putting the needle in too far.  He finally got the epidural in, but along with the relief from contractions came a debilitating headache, severe shaking, sweating, and vomiting.

My nurse determined that my only physical issue was a severe drop in blood pressure, so I was given medication to bring up my blood pressure.  When the extreme shaking, nausea, and sweating continued, she found a tactful way to ask me if I’d ever had a problem with anxiety.  I admitted I had, although it had been a long time since anxiety had been a problem.  She suggested that might be what was going on because all my vitals looked normal and good.  I knew that the many attempts at the epidural had me totally freaked out (some guy was repeatedly sticking a needle in my spine and couldn’t get it to work and the only thing worse than that was the contractions…), so it wasn’t hard to believe that was probably what was going on.  Once I recognized the anxiety for what it was, the sweating and nausea/vomiting stopped.  I didn’t stop shaking until long after the baby was born though.

Through half-closed eyes, due to the intense headache, I made it through the rest of labor and delivery.  My doctor broke my water when I dilated to 4 cm, then told me he’d see me in about 5 hours.  I told him there was no way it’d take that long, but he went home to eat dinner.  Thirty minutes later I called for the nurse, sure that the baby was about to fall out on his own.  The pain was serious and I knew exactly when the contractions were coming.  That threw me because I thought the epidural would deaden the pain completely, leaving me with only a feeling of pressure.  That was NOT the case.  The nurse rushed in and checked me, confirming that I felt that way because I had reached 10 cm and was ready to push.  But there was no doctor…

She called the doctor to come back, then called all hands on deck to help her in case I couldn’t wait for the doctor.  For twenty minutes I was told not to push and waited in terrible pain, telling the nurses it didn’t matter if I didn’t push because the baby was coming out on his own.  I also kept asking her why it hurt so much when I had an epidural and the only thing she could figure was that it was because I was progressing so quickly.  She kept assuring me that the baby wouldn’t come out on his own and I would make it until the doctor arrived.  (I didn’t believe her because a few years ago Rick’s cousin had her baby in the elevator on the way up to the maternity ward.)  When the doctor got back, he calmly joked with the nurses and took his time getting into his scrubs.  I was not laughing with him.  According to my husband, my nurse wasn’t laughing either.  I had my eyes mostly closed and just tried to relax.  (By the way, that’s a joke.  Crazy people who tell you to relax…)

FINALLY, I was allowed to push.  I felt like I was surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses (extra nurses, the anesthetist, and a respiratory guy because the doctor was concerned that Charlie had ingested miconium), making me feel a little self-conscious, but I tuned them out and focused in on Rick’s voice.  It hurt so much that I kept begging for more epidural medication and telling him I couldn’t do it.  Rick calmly encouraged me that I could do it, I was doing good, and it would be over soon.  He was right and he was my rock.  It took 3 contractions, a whole 6 minutes of pushing to get him out.  When they laid him on my chest, all I felt was RELIEF.  I could barely open my eyes from the headache pain, but the relief from pain and pressure was so great I stopped crying and finally relaxed.  Ahhh…

IMG_20140409_184405_124Although I could barely see him from the headache, Charlie was perfect, crying like a little champ.  The respiratory guy and extra nurses left.  Rick cut the cord and we admired him together.  No cone head or anything.  Within a few minutes my mother was there to greet him.  That meant a lot to me since she couldn’t be there for Eliana’s birth.  I was so happy to hand him to her.

IMG_20140409_190301_338As the room cleared and things calmed down, my nurse and I began to talk more about the headache.  If I laid totally flat I had some relief, so the nurse explained to me that I had a spinal headache brought on by the epidural difficulties.  She said it could get really bad if I didn’t get something called a “blood patch” to fix it.  She said sometimes moms came back to the hospital weeks later, having suffered from the headache since the birth, begging for relief.  She didn’t want me to suffer that long, so she tried to get the anesthetist to come back and fix it right away.  He was hesitant to do the blood patch, so it was hours later before I got relief.

It got so bad that laying flat no longer helped, every sound made me feel like my head would explode, and God forbid anyone bumped my bed!  The baby in the room next door started crying, Charlie was crying, and I just wanted to scream for everyone to be quiet!  Then I was crying because I couldn’t take care of my baby.  Rick was desperately trying to figure out what to do to help me when my nurse finally got the anesthetist back in the room.  I was scared to death to let him do another procedure on me, but the pain was so bad that I just started praying (a little loudly)  for God to help him.

Around 12:30 a.m., I was wheeled into the operating room, put on a table, and given what seemed like another epidural.  This time they took 30 ml of blood out of my arm and put that into my back (instead of numbing medicine).  I was again terrified and my awesome nurse held my hand and reassured me the entire time.  When he put the blood in my back, he said I’d feel it in my back and sides.  However, I felt it shoot up my spine and explode in my head!  I thought I was having an anurism and I’m sure my blood pressure went through the roof.  The anesthetist kept asking me what was happening and I couldn’t respond.  I was too scared to speak.  A crazy Muppets song was going through my head (“We ain’t got no room for boring, for boring we ain’t got no room…) and that made me relax and laugh a little.  Leave it to my brain to provide a soundtrack to the crazy events that were happening!  I finally croaked out a response to let him know what I was feeling.  Apparently that’s normal, so Lord only knows why he failed to prepare me for it.

As they wheeled me back to my room, I realized that the headache was significantly better.  It wasn’t totally gone though,and my back started aching strangely, so I remained afraid that something had gone wrong and soon I’d die.  I learned the back ache is a side effect of having multiple needle sticks and blood pumped into your back…  My hep-lock was still in and I was hooked up to a saline solution, told that the extra fluid would help the headache as well.  But suddenly my hand was on fire and I told the nurse I was afraid the vein had blown.  Sure enough, the solution was going into my hand rather than my vein, so she had to put in a new IV in my other hand.  More pain…

Of course, then Charlie got hungry and I was supposed to nurse him.  He latched right on, but the severe cramps that accompany nursing in the first few days kicked in.  (Nursing causes the uterus to contract, which is necessary but also painful and I found out gets worse with each baby.)  Then the shaking, nausea, and sweating returned and again my nurse had to figure out what was wrong with me.

Soon we were having another discussion about anxiety.  Oh!  Anxiety again?  The realization that I was just freaking out and wouldn’t actually die gave me immediate relief.  The nurse recognized that I had reached my limit, was thoroughly exhausted, and took Charlie to the nursery, commanding me to sleep.  As soon as she took the baby, I fell fast asleep.

My back continued to ache painfully for a couple days, so I kept ice on it and made sure not to miss a dose of the Tylenol/Advil combo.  Thankfully, that was the worst of the whole experience.  Charlie has been an amazingly well-adjusted baby.  So far he only cries if he’s hungry or needs his diaper changed (and occasionally when he just wants to be cuddled).  He sleeps wonderfully, doesn’t have reflux, and is sweet.  We feel so blessed and thankful!

10257112_10203686633107136_6413307573074847904_nEliana loves him dearly.  She’s having a bit of a hard time with all the changes to our lives, especially right now when Rick is out from early until late farming, but we’re making it through.  We found an older teenage girl to come help through the worst of it and although it’s hard for me to let anyone else help me, she’s been wonderful to have around.  Friends have brought meals, my in-laws have helped out tremendously, and I’m grateful.

It’s hard to believe that tomorrow I will celebrate my second Mother’s Day as a mother and have TWO babies to enjoy!  What a blessing.


  1. Happy Mother’s Day, Kimberly!
    i am sorry to hear that you suffered so during and after labor and so glad that part is behind you! So thrilled to meet Charlie Dean (Dean was my dad’s middle name. Named after the Dr. who delivered both him and me) He is beautiful!!! Now you have the best of both worlds, a girl and a boy! May God richly bless you and your growing family with much joy and good health!
    Love you, Carol Hardwick

    • Thank you, Carol. Your continued support of my writing is such an honor and a blessing. I miss you!

If we were chatting over a cup of coffee, what would you tell me?

%d bloggers like this: